Show Love Mutt Some Love!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Love Mutt, anyway?
We've noticed that a person's love for their dog is only outweighed by the dog's love for their master. That's the affection we think of when we think of a love mutt. A pampered pooch whose love for their human goes unmatched. (This of course includes felines as well.) So if you think you've got a love mutt at home...show them some love by giving them a few hours to be a super star!
Don't worry, we don't have any love-loss for the purebreds of the world – the term "mutt" is just our favorite term of endearment for dogs. Whether your best friend is a show stopping pedigree, a Heinz 57, or a feline with a superiority complex... we are drawn to the personality and quirks that make each and every pet unique.
How long have you been photographing animals?
We started Ashley Johnson Photography in 2005 by shooting pets and people. Pets, however, have been our bread and butter pretty much the whole time. So in 2009 we finally decided to dedicate an entire business to pet photography.
How long do sessions last?
We normally shoot for a minimum of one hour. Sometimes that’s enough. But if we feel we still need time to get a few more great shots, we’ll shoot for as long as we need to to make sure that your pet looks their best!
How does this process work?
1. Email us, call us, facebook us, pigeon messenger service us... but one way or another, let us know you want to book.
2. Schedule your session. We are available on weekends and some occasional weekdays, but we do tend to book up in advance, so be sure you contact us as soon as you're ready to book.
3. Pay your retainer ($50 non-refundable) to hold your date so no one else can steal it! You can mail us a check or ask for a PayPal invoice to be emailed to you if you’d rather pay with a credit card.
4. Meet us at the agreed location on the date and time of your session. We’ll bring treats (and sometimes toys) and we’ll all hang out and have fun spoiling your pet with all kinds of love, attention, and treats! If your session is in your home you're welcome to do other things while we follow your furry family member around their home for an hour or two.
5. We'll do all the work of editing your awesome pictures and get them put onto a CD and delivered to you within 2 weeks of your session.
6. Display your new images for the world to see just how amazing your pets are! Share them with friends and family. Admire and cherish them forever.
Where’s the best place for my pet’s session?
We are happy shooting anywhere - it’s really a matter of personal preference. We shoot on location sessions through out the Cincinnati area. These can be shot anywhere from your house to your favorite park to downtown Cincinnati. Wherever you prefer. And if you need help choosing a location... just ask. We’re here to help.
I have a very crazy-hyper/shy & terrified of the world dog. Are you still able to photograph my dog?
Absolutely! Crazy-hyper dogs just have more personality. That means more to capture on camera - you'll just have more fun, crazy images to choose from! And scaredy-dogs just need a little more time and attention. We’ve worked with both and have still gotten great results. We provide the amount of time and patience needed to deal with any situation. Matt doubles as our dog trainer and he can handle almost any situation.
I have more than one pet. Can you photograph all of them?
Yep. We will shoot as many animals as you’ve got (if you’re like us... it’s a lot!) Your session fee will cover all the pets living in your household.
Do you photograph anything besides cats and dogs?
We sure do. We’ll photograph pretty much any critter you call a family member (we’ll need to have a little chat, though, if that critter is a snake!) We also photograph humans from time to time. For more information on our people photography, shoot us an e-mail to get details.
What should I do to prepare for my pet’s session?
For dogs, we usually recommend a good brisk walk or a trip to the dog park about an hour before your session. This helps drain your dog of some nervous energy and makes them a little more relaxed and cooperative for our shoot. For cats, we recommend a lot of catnip to help mellow them out before your session.
Can I be in some of the pictures with my pet?
Absolutely! In fact, we encourage it. Some of our favorite images are those that show the unique relationship between pet and human. So just let us know and we’ll make it happen.
What’s the best way to contact you?
We are best contacted by email. We tend to keep weird hours. And with the number of inquiries we get, email is simply the easiest form of contact. You will usually hear back from us the same business day (unless we are out of town). If you absolutely have to contact us by phone, just be aware that you may not get a response until the following business day. Either way, we will respond as soon as possible.
I have questions not answered on this page... what should I do?
You get a prize for reading all our answers before enquiring! Email us. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can - usually the same business day.